Sunday 7 April 2013

Marching on the Malverns

Today I went up another gear in my training for Mount Kilimanjaro. I went to the Malvern Hills. I sent off from my house about 6am on the 110 mile drive reaching Swinyard car park at 8.45 am. (Just a brief coffee stop en route) So I made good time. I have never been to the Malverns before so I was excited, having done a little research I had an idea of what it would be like, but it was even more beautiful than I could have imagined. The plan was to walk from Swinyard Car park to the top of Worcestershire Beacon and back again sumiting the hills in between. It was a 12 mile route over 7 hills which took about 5 hours to complete. It was challenging but not overly difficult. Some of the hills were very steep, but my walking poles came into their own and I was powering up hills and carefully negotiating my way down the other side. I wanted to walk here so that I could practice going up high hills, the views along the way were absolutely awesome. There was a little snow on some of the hills, not fresh, I assume it was from a couple of weeks ago. It was a clear day today, a little cold, and a little windy at the top of Worcestershire Beacon. But ideal weather really.

I could see Worcestershire Beacon some way off in the distance while I was walking. The highest of the hills (1395feet), and it looked impressive. As I got closer to it I looked to the very top and pictured myself up there. Soon enough after a tough walk it seemed like I was on top of the world. The views were magnificent, and the feeling that I had accomplished what I wanted to for the day hit me. I found a bench to eat my lunch and rest for a little while before retracing my route to Swinyard Car park.

I left at just after 2pm arriving home at just after 4.30pm. Picking a Sunday was a good idea I think. There wasn't much traffic on the roads.




No comments:

Post a Comment